Wednesday, August 30, 2023

The Bird Hotel

Joyce Maynard's The Bird Hotel for me was a feel good story. Main character, Irene, had a rough start at life, a rough spell of love and had just about given up. The Bird Hotel is her story about healing and rediscovery.

This story spans many decades and while Irene is the main character, there's a whole ensemble that we get to know and watch grow.

After suffering one more unimaginable tragedy, Irene gets on a bus, not really caring where it's going. She just knows she needs to leave where she's been. She ends up in Central America. She's "selected" by a little boy for him to bring her to a place to stay. It's a run down hotel that rarely seems to have any guests. But it s a place for healing for Irene.

This novel made me wish that during times when I was feeling broken, I wish I could have discovered a hotel similar to the hotel where Irene ends up.

This novel has gotten mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend. Maybe you had to have felt broken at some point to fully appreciate this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment