Friday, March 4, 2016

Okay, so where have I been?

I'm still reading the fifth book in the Outlander series. I'm reading it from a 7-book volume on my iPad so it's not even clear to me how much of the book I have left. I read with a larger than normal printface, too. All I know is that I have another 700 pages or so until I'm done. And then... mark my words... I'm taking a break from Outlander to read some different books. I swear. (I've said that as I've finished every single book in the series so far. That's really the bad part about coming late to the game for a popular series. You don't have to wait for the next book to come out. It's right there.)

I love a good series. The first series I got hooked on was The Bobbsey Twins. Oh how I loved the Bobbsey Twins. Who that isn't a twin hasn't had a fantasy about being a twin? Then there was Nancy Drew, even though I had no desire to be a detective. Or a spy. Or anything like that! At about the same time, I was devouring books from the All of a Kind Family series. Fast forward to young adulthood and I loved The Clan of the Cave Bear and all the books that followed. I've had the final book in that series, The Land of Painted Caves, on my to-be-read list for quite awhile. Eventually, I will get to that.

What other series have I enjoyed? The ones that come to mind may or may not be the ones I enjoyed most. (Some of the series I'm listing by the title of the first book since that might be more recognizable.)
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (young adult series)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice - Elm Creek Quilts
  • The 39 Clues (middle grade series)
  • P.S. Longer Letter Later (not really a series, just a book with a sequel 
  • Among the Hidden (middle grade series)
  • The City of Ember (middle grade series)
  • Maeve Binchy books (they're not really a series, just a bunch of inter-related books with some character overlap)
  • The Giver (middle grade series)
Then there are some series that I liked but didn't love.

  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
  • Miss Julia
  • The Walk
And finally there are some series I just couldn't get into at all.
  • Harry Potter
  • Twilight
  • Fifty Shades of Gray
  • The Chronicles of Narnia 
  • No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

I'm sure there are many more and I'll add them as I think of them. I think it's also patently obvious that I love middle grade reader books - series or otherwise.

I'd love to know what some of your favorite series are?

No comments:

Post a Comment