Wednesday, August 17, 2016

I love to read but...

I love to read but...


... at least for the short-term, I think I liked going for a sunrise walk better.

We had a long weekend away at the beach this past weekend. I brought along the SparkNotes for Midsummer Night's Dream. (Yes, the one by William Shakespeare - and don't judge me because I only read the SparkNotes. I'll explain that in a post in another two weeks.) And I brought my iPad where I've got When We Were Sisters by Emilie Richards downloaded. I figured I'd read ...Sisters before shutting off the light at night and I'd read SparkNotes while on the beach. It didn't quite work out that way.

I read a little of ...Sisters on the first night. Then woke up early the following morning to see the sunrising over the Atlantic Ocean. Sitting on the beach in the afternoon, I managed to finish the SparkNotes. (I'm now all set for the Books and Beer Club Anniversary Party two weeks from tonight.)

On less than 6 hours of sleep... and lots of time spent on the beach and the heat and walking over 6 miles, when bedtime rolled around I... well, I went to sleep! The following morning I was up again before sunset, this time to take a 3-mile walk on the beach. After a full day of sightseeing, in the heat, bedtime rolled around and once again, I couldn't keep my eyes open to read. This happened again on day 3 and day 4. The night we arrived home, I was so tired from so many short nights of sleep that I once again was too exhausted to read. Last night was the first night I read in bed for five days. I think that might be a record!

What would you have done in my place?

No comments:

Post a Comment