Thursday, August 18, 2016

When We Were Sisters

I was waiting for one of my book club books to be available from the library and I wanted something different to read. It's not often I get a "free read," a book that's not being read for book club. None of the books recommended by friends were available as e-books from the library. So I browsed and found When We Were Sisters by Emilie Richards.


I really wanted to like this book. I love well-written women's contemporary fiction. The synopsis of this novel sounded good. Two women who were fosters sisters when they were younger are working on a documentary about the foster care system. One woman is a celebrity living the life. The other is married to a workaholic and feels like her life needs a jolt. While working on the documentary, secrets are revealed, life changing secrets. Sounds pretty decent, right?

And it was. It was decent. But it wasn't great. The story was predictable, the writing was simply ordinary, and the problems were resolved all too easily.

The main characters, CeCe and Robin, are in their late 30s, early 40s. Am I too old to appreciate a story line about women in this age group? I don't think that was the problem. 

I love books that take place in locations I'm familiar with. I should have loved this book as part of it took place in Tampa and part of it took place in Sanibel, a location that I love. Just didn't do it for me in this case.

Not the worst book I've ever read, but it wasn't the book that I wanted it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment