Tuesday, October 11, 2016

How many books are too many books?

Wow, this hasn't happened in quite awhile. That I have 4 books to read at the same time. Sort of.

I've been happily reading A Breath of Snow and Ice since my Overdrive fiasco last week. Pleasure reading of a book I'm reading only because I want to read it! I'm making slow and steady progress but it's a really big fat book! I wouldn't expect to finish it before the ebook expires.

Yesterday, I was finally able to pick up A Man Called Ove from the library. It's a print book so I can't read it in bed at night. I sat outside in the sunshine yesterday and read the first two chapters.

Later that afternoon, when I checked my email, I learned that The Lightkeepers, my November book club title for my community book club, was available to read. So last night when I went to bed, I started reading that.

Seriously. Three books. I haven't done this in... well... maybe forever. Back when I was doing three books at a time, one was an audio book, one was a print book and the third was a kids' book. Not three adult books at the same time!

Plus... I've got Dracula, my October Books & Beer Club title, downloaded onto my iPad as well. (Found it free on amazon. At least that one book doesn't have a due date.)

I struggled last night to decide how and when to read all these books. Since I need to get the book club books read and I want to get book #6 of Outlander read, too. It helps that I'm going on a trip involving air travel.

Here's the plan:

  • Outlander is due in 6 days. I'll read that at night for the next 6 days, trying to get as far into the book as I can. (There's not a whole lot of difference dropping an Outlander book in the middle - or taking a break between books.)
  • I'll read A Man Called Ove at the airports and on the airplanes. It's not a long book. I should be able to finish it in the 7 or so hours I'll have.
  • Once Outlander expires off my iPad, I'll read The Lightkeepers. I should be able to finish that in the 2 weeks I'll have left before it expires. I have a feeling that by default I'm going to be leading that book club discussion.
  • When to read Dracula, the one title that I don't really care about reading except that I love attending Books & Beer and wouldn't attend if I hadn't read the book? That's the question that remains.

3 comments:

  1. I always have at least four books on the go, I just love the diversity.

    How many books are too many? I don't think there is a limit as to numbers, just when you get too overwhelmed with the amount of books you think you are supposed to read until a certain date, maybe that would be time to cut back. Luckily, I have never been in that situation so far. ;)

    Happy Reading,
    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete