Friday, October 28, 2016

Overdrive is driving me over the edge!

I used to love Overdrive. Now we've got this love/hate thing going on. I wrote about my issues with Overdrive several weeks ago when I had to uninstall the app on my iPad, reinstall and then create a new Overdrive account. In the process, I lost a bunch of books and access to one of my libraries.

Weeks later, I'm still having issues with the app on both my iPad and my iPhone. The book I'm finishing up now, The Lightkeepers by Abby Geni, has an unadjustable font size. What I loved about reading on the iPad was the fact that I could make the font a comfortable size for reading in any sort of light. The Lightkeepers stays tiny. No matter what I do. A more than 300-page book in print is reduced to 177 pages in Overdrive. That's small print for anyone!  (I wonder why I'm able to adjust the size of Dracula. Makes no sense.)

My second problem is that even after renewing A Breath of Snow and Ashes, the book I currently choose to read when I'm not reading a book club book, it shows up as expired in Overdrive. Coincidentally (and annoyingly), that's the book I lost when I was uninstalling and reinstalling. I got the book back... only now it's non-renewable! Talk about frustrating.

And the final problem I'm aware of right now is the fact that even though I've asked Overdrive to remember my library log-ins, it isn't. So each time I go to request a book or check on a hold, which usually happens in bed either late at night or super early in the morning, I'm forced to log-in. And of course all my log-in information and library card sit on my desk in another room.

The Overdrive app has been updated twice since I've started having all my problems. Each time I've updated, I've held my breath, hoping against all hopes that the particular update was going to solve my problems. So far it hasn't.

The ups and downs of technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment