Thursday, March 19, 2020

Pandemic reading


I haven't blogged in quite awhile. I was caught up in following the early news of the novel coronavirus and in trying to get the renovations on my rental property completed. And I was hardly reading. I was way, way, way, too distracted.

I'd started reading Little Women for book club as all these distractions started. Some days I'd pick it up and read a little bit. Other days, I didn't have the concentration to pick it up at all. I'm not even going to bother writing a review of Little Women. I only got through about 1/3 of the book by the time of the book club meeting. I was able to discuss the book because I'd read it twice. Once as a child and a second time just about a dozen years ago. But right now with my limited concentration, that is not how I want to spend my brain energy.

I kept thinking back to the novel The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley that I read in 2011. It's a book about a pandemic. At the time I read it, parts of the story seemed so far-fetched. I'll spare you the terrifying parts of the book that have stayed with me. I don't remember how it ended, though. As a friend replied when I asked, "It probably ended happily ever after." I don't think that's so but I'll hold on to that thought. I might even still have that book hanging around the house but I don't want to touch it. Just thinking about picking it up gives me the creeps.

There are some funny memes popping up on social media. I mean, isn't being isolated at home a reader's dream? The perfect time to tackle that TBR list? Maybe for some readers. This reader is too distracted by the news. I normally read for at least two book clubs each month. Plus another book that I just want to read. But right now while my concentration is challenged, I need to read things that grip me from the start and keep me wanting to go back for more. The books don't have to uplifting. They haven't been if you've check out the latest entries on my reading log. But they have to quickly engage me. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Lots of my recommendations are coming from Renee's Reading Club, a private group on Facebook. Renee is a librarian and between Renee and the over 10,000 members in the group, I'm getting some good recommendations. If you're on Facebook, you might want to check it out.

And thank heavens for e-books!

No comments:

Post a Comment