Sunday, May 23, 2021

Love Lettering

I never really expected to love Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn. I am so not  a romance novel reader. (And if I read a romance, I like the main character to be an older woman, divorced, finding love after a bad relationship.)

Like the last book I read, perhaps I liked this one more than I might have because it is set in Brooklyn, New York. In Park Slope to be exact. The novel gives a great feel for what it's currently like living in Brooklyn. Because I was familiar with a lot of the locations, I was able to visualize them in my head as I was reading which only added to my enjoyment. (It also had me really missing wandering the streets of Brooklyn. Oh, and the food. I miss the food!)

I came across this novel when I was looking for books on how to learn to hand letter. It's an art form and one I'd literally like to try my hand at. The main character of Love Lettering is Meg, a hand lettering artist who creates custom-made planners for New York City elite. I loved reading Meg thinking through her planner designs and what types of lettering she'd use.

I also loved how a secret message leads her to start a friendship with quirky Reid, a "quant"working on Wall Street. Both Meg and Reid are constantly looking for signs in what they see around them. I love how Meg, who loves New York, attempts to show Reid, who hates New York, New York City thru her eyes. When Meg and Reid meet, the only thing he likes about New York City is the food. Yes, the food! And both he and Meg love exactly the kind of quirky little mom-and-pop places to eat that I love and miss so much! Part of the way Meg tries to enlarge Reid's appreciation of New York City is through a game that Reid develops. I love that whole game playing thing, too.

Yes, this is a romance novel. But it's so much more. It's about women's friendships, parent/child relationships, finding a work/life balance. I think if you're like me you don't enjoy reading romance novels, you might not like this. Unless of course you're also into custom planners (I create my own very uninspired bullet journal). Then you might really like this novel a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment