Monday, May 3, 2021

Orphan Number 8

I finished Orphan Number Eight by Kim van Alkemade late last night and I still can't decide how I really feel about it. It's a story about a girl named Rachel whose mother is dead and her father has run away.  She and her brother, Sam, are sent to a Jewish orphanage in NYC. 

It creates a good picture of life in these enormous orphanages in the early part of the 1900s. Actually, perhaps it does not. Perhaps it only reflects what life was like in one specific orphanage in New York City, an orphanage supported by a  generous charity.

Because of their ages, Rachel and Sam are separated when they first arrive at the orphanage. Rachel is sent to an infant nursery where she is selected to become a subject in a radiation medical study. That's the point when Rachel becomes "orphan number eight."

The story is told along two different timelines. One is Rachel's story as a child, first at home and then at the orphanage and as an older child. The other storyline is Rachel as a 40-something nurse working in Manhattan, living in Coney Island. (I must say that I did love all the descriptions of Coney Island and of the subway rides heading to Coney Island.)

As pieces of history, this novel was fascinating. van Alkemade did excellent research in preparation for writing this historical fiction novel. As for the story, there was something that didn't sit well with me. I'm not quite sure what it was. If goodreads gave half stars, I would have given this one 3.5 stars. Since half stars are not available, I rounded down.

At my last Jewish book club meeting, initially this was the book selected for our next meeting. Shortly after the meeting, several of the members decided that they'd already read the book and as much as they'd love to discuss it, they wanted to read something new. (We're going to be reading Button Man by Andrew Gross instead.) I'm really hoping that one or more of the members of the club is willing to discuss Orphan Number Eight with me. I feel like this is a book that begs to be discussed and that it would make an excellent book club read.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment