Monday, August 1, 2022

The Candid Life of Meena Dave

The Candid Life of Meena Dave by Namrata Patel was another Amazon First Read selection. It was also one of the most enjoyable books that I've read in awhile.

Meena, a brown child, was adopted at birth by a white couple. She survives after their tragic death while she was in high school and goes on to have a career as a photojournalist. She's never settled down, but always keeps moving forward. In her mid-thirties, she inherits an apartment in the Back Bay section of Boston in a The Engineer's House, a house occupied by people who look just like Meena.

Meena starts to wonder why she inherited the apartment and how she fits in with the rest of  the occupants of the small apartment building. This is a book about identity and overcoming the odds.

I think what made this book so enjoyable was that I really liked the characters in the book. It's not necessary for a book to have likeable characters in order to appreciate a story. But in this case, I think the fact that I liked them so much increased my appreciation of the story.

I'd highly recommend this quick, thoughtful novel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment