Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Tell The Wolves I'm Home

When asked, "How's next month's book?" at last month's book club, the woman who suggested it wouldn't commit to liking it or not. She only said, "It's different."

Yes, Tell The Wolve I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt was different. But I think that's partly because it was written in 2012 and partly because it's about the early days of the AIDS epidemic in the United States. I really enjoyed the story. It's a coming-of-age story, it's a story about families, and, as I've already said, it's about the early days of the AIDS epidemic.

Finn, the uncle of June and Greta, is dying from AIDS. June is different from most other kids. When Finn dies, she is really forced to confront her feelings for him as well as the relationship with Greta that has been deteriorating over time. She also attempts to figure out her mother's relationship with Finn.

A stranger shows up at Finn's funeral who will help June get these unresolved issues as figured out as they can be when you're 14 years old.

It brought up memories of how AIDS impacted my family in the 1980s and 1990s, things I don't care to discuss here, partly because they should probably stay private and partly because they might be considered spoilers. However, bringing up these memories may be  why I liked this novel so much.

I'm looking to next month's book club discussion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment