Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The Book of Hope

Jane Goodall's latest book, co-written with Douglas Abrams, The Book of Hope: A Survival Guide for Trying Times, was the selection for my NJ book club this month. I alternated reading an e-book and listening to the audiobook and must say that I much preferred listening to the audiobook. The whole book is an extended conversation that Douglas Abrams has with Jane Goodall. It's a little try in the writing, but hearing Jane Goodall speak brings her words to live. Literally.

I didn't hate the book, didn't love the book. But I was disappointed that the book didn't make me feel any more hopeful once I'd finished it than I felt at the start. Most of the trying times the book deals with are related to the climate crisis and other environmental issues. Jane shares case after case of where people's lives have been turned around because they've been engaged in one environmental project or another, and in turn, their engagement leads to positive changes in the environment. That's all good and well. But not seeing that in action, and hearing the constant voices of climate change deniers, especially those in leadership roles, leaves me without hope. 

I think Jane's point is that if everyone can do a little bit towards improving our planet, our planet will flourish. I still don't see how we can get even a third of the population on board. Hence, my feelings of hopelessness.

I liked reading about the perceived difference between "hoping" and "wishing." Hope involves having a plan and a commitment to work hard towards whatever you're hoping for. Wishing is more like wishing for some magical act, like the cleaning fairy coming to your house while you sleep so that every morning you wake up to a spotless, organized home without you having to do a thing.

I lost hope early on in the book when Jane and Douglas where talking about good versus evil. That you need to be taught that something is wrong before you are punished for a wrong doing. Otherwise, violence breeds violence. I see kids riding in their parents cars giving people they don't like the finger. That makes me feel like too large a portion of the population is trying to instill whatever hatred they have in their adult hearts into the hearts of their children. So the cycle of hate continues.

I was really disappointed when I was unable to participate in the book club discussion last week. I figured that talking to others would have given me reason to think there is more hope than I see in my own little world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment