Saturday, February 6, 2016

I so admire PUBLISHED writers

My good friend, Ronnie Allen, was doing a book signing at a local bookstore this afternoon. I want to support Ronnie in her endeavors and I was curious about the bookstore, relatively new in town. Going to the signing was the perfect opportunity to do both. (To The Next Chapter Bookstore, I will be back.)

Ronnie Allen autographing my copy of Aries: The Sign
Behind the Crime Book #2
Ronnie has just published her second book in what will potentially be a 12-book series called The Sign Behind the Crimes. Her first book is titled Gemini. Aries was released two weeks ago. And she's currently working on the third book in the series, Scorpio.

Once Ronnie decided several years ago that she was going to become a published author, there was no stopping her. We attended a Book Festival in Inverness together. I was interested in seminars I attended. I will admit that Ronnie was much more focused, trying to grab every morsel the experts and published authors were throwing our way. Years later, Ronnie has two published books and a working relationship with a publisher, and I have 2 drafts gathering dust on my computer and in my desk. That's okay. As I mentioned in my first blog post, circumstances took me away from my quest to get published followed by a conscious decision to work on other things first.

As an avid reader and a wanna-be-writer, Ronnie invited me to critique the first or second draft of Gemini. I thought I'd be able to read the book before going to bed, my normal time to read, but I wanted to give the book full attention, not skimming over anything. And I took notes. Lots of notes. Then Ronnie hosted a luncheon where the rest of her non-published writer critique group met and discussed the plot and made suggestions for changes. It was very exciting to be part of the process. Several months later, Ronnie had a publishing deal.

Ronnie's work is psychological thriller with a bit of romance - and sex - thrown in. It's not a genre that I'm naturally drawn to but I am able to recognize the genius of her work. She sure puts together a riveting page turner. She is a master of the plot and her character development is on spot. I can so easily imagine Gemini being transformed to the big screen. I'm also a sucker for books that are written in places that I'm very familiar with. Gemini was set in both Brooklyn, NY, my hometown, and Citrus County, Florida, my current home. I'm not 100% sure but I believe that Aries is set in the five boroughs of NYC. That's always a huge draw to me.

Two of us walked into the book store this afternoon at just about the same time. We'd both read Gemini and were there to get our autographed copies of Aries. The other woman mentioned that she so admires writers. People who can imagine and write down stories. For a brief moment, I thought, "Hey, that's me, too. I can imagine stories and write them down." Then, in my mind, I modified her statement somewhat. I so admire published writers. And I really admire Ronnie.

You should look forward to a review of Aries at this site as soon as I finish reading it. I read through the first few pages on the ride home (no, I was not driving) but still have a few books on my to be read list. I read most of Gemini out on the beach last summer. I'm thinking Aries might make a wonderful beach read for me as well.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Sue for your warm and wonderful word. I'm appreciative and humbled that you took the time to write this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started formulating in the book store. When I got home, the words flew from my brain to the keyboard. Keep up the excellent work, Ronnie.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. At first I was thinking if I'd be a one novel wonder. As I was writing Aries, Scorpio came into my mind. Now, more than halfway thru my first draft, two more are swirling around my brain. I think once you begin, it snowballs.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda. I'm going to cherish Sue's words. And thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, Linda. I see how hard she works. That's why I'm in awe of published writers!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to Ronnie as well as all writers. I wish Ronnie much success, and hope that you dust off those manuscripts of yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! I appreciate your kind words. I know all of us writers work so hard and it's a wonderful feeling when readers and friends appreciate our efforts.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anna. Maybe someday. I have a humongous family obligation on my head. I hope to have that done by early 2017. In the meantime, I'll stay satisfied with reading and writing about what I read.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jessica. Even before I walked into the bookstore I knew I was going to blog about Ronnie. It wasn't until she was signing my book that I knew in which direction I'd be heading.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Jessica. I've read it over twenty times and I still get teary eyed over the emotionality.

    ReplyDelete