Monday, February 1, 2016

What am I reading now?

I'm sure you're curious as to what I'm reading now.


I'm reading The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon from a 7-Book Bundle that I found in Overdrive. (It's been easier to renew than any of the individual books.) I'm in the very middle of the fifth book of the series, The Fiery Cross. I started the series last July, when one of my book clubs decided to read the first book over a 2-month period. I haven't stopped. I guess that's another reason why I feel like I'm not reading as many books as I used to read. These books are l-o-n-g!

I'm not sure why I avoided the series for so long. "Oh, time travel? I'm not really into that." And for some reason I thought religion played a focal role in the stories. Yes, religion does play a role. But not at all in the way that I thought. And while it is a time travel book, there's probably less comparison between "then" and "now" than I would have included had I attempted to write a similar story.

After completing the first book for book club and summarizing it by writing, "This is the kind of book I would have loved in college..." implying that I wouldn't like it now, I've been stuck into the series for months!



At the same time, I've got  A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer (1995) checked out of the library and waiting for me on Overdrive. Like the Outlander bundle, it's also due in 10 more days. At some point in the next day or two, I'm going to have to stop reading Outlander and start reading "It."










I've also got to determine if I'm going to try to finish reading The Everglades: Rivers of Grass by Marjorie Stoneman Douglas (1947). This is a Books and Beer Club read from January 2016. The synopsis I'd read before starting the book likened it to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring (1962). I have only read short snippets from the Rachel Carson book but I loved the message it sent. The future of our planet is important. Rachel Carson is credited for starting our current environmental movement.

Marjorie Stoneman Douglas got too bogged down in the history of Florida (even moreso than the known history of the Everglades) in her book which was written as an argument to save the Everglades from development. I'm more than 2/3 of the way through the book and still haven't gotten away from the history and to the meat of the book. A fellow book club member told me that comes in the last three chapters. I'm not sure I have the desire to plod through any more of this book looking for the beef.

What will I be reading before turning off the lights tonight? The Fiery Cross, I'm sure. What might I try starting tomorrow morning during my pre-getting-out-of-bed reading time? Perhaps A Child Called "It." I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment