Thursday, March 19, 2020

Dear Edward

Sometimes I don't pay close enough attention to the recommendations coming from Renee's Reading Club. I see a title, I see a lot of "Oh, yes, that was great" and I request the title from the library. I requested the novel Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano months ago having no idea what it was about. I  started reading the e-book before looking at what would have been the flap of a printed book. (One disadvantage of e-books over traditional print books - no flap!) Okay, a book about a sole survivor of a plane crash. Was I really up for reading a book like that? Then again, all future air travel is totally up in the air so I know I won't be on a plane in awhile. Why not? And it had gotten so many rave reviews.

Dear Edward is about Eddie who becomes Edward after he becomes the sole survivor of a Newark to Los Angeles flight in 2013. Eddie's dad is a professor who didn't get tenure when Eddie's mom gets a good opportunity to rewrite a Hollywood movie script. Eddie, his parents and his brother, Jordan are on the cross country flight along with 188 other passengers and crew, some of whom we get to meet and become familiar with.

The story is told in alternating chapters. One chapter about the flight followed by a chapter about Edward trying to move forward, living with his aunt and uncle in New Jersey. Eddie had been homeschooled. Edward has to adjust to going to public school. A grateful Edward has his new next-door neighbor, Shay, and his therapist, Dr. Mike, to help him through.

I don't want to give away more of the book, including why the book is called Dead Edward. As long as you're okay reading a book about a plane crash (inspired by a true life story of a sole survivor), you would probably enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment