Thursday, March 19, 2020

Philadelphia Freedom

I love the song "Philadelphia Freedom." It was released in 1975, the year I left home to attend college in ... you guessed it, Philadelphia. I always considered it a sort of theme song. Even to this day, it puts a big huge smile on my face every time I hear it.

After reading Me, Elton John's autobiography, I now know with certainty that "Philadelphia Freedom" was dedicated to me spreading my wings, but was written for tennis star, Billie Jean King, and her professional tennis team, Philadelphia Freedoms. Who knew?

Me was the book selected by Books & Beer Club for our memoir/autobiography month. I found it a difficult book to read. The writing was awkward, there was a lot of repetition, a lot of name dropping and some pretty graphic descriptions of the drug scene of the 80s.

BUT...

... this autobiography made me love and appreciate Elton John more than I did before. I've always considered him a great artist and a great collaborator with Bernie Taupin. But now I know that he was a great friend to many. And as high as a kite as he flew, his values remained pretty down to earth.

Now I want to see Rocket Man, a recent film about Elton John.

If you're an Elton John fan, you might want to pick this book up.

No comments:

Post a Comment