Thursday, March 19, 2020

Postscript

In 2005, I read a novel by a very young author called P.S. I Love You. Cecelia Ahern created the story of Holly whose husband, Gerry, had the forethought to write 12 letters to Holly, with the direction to read one letter a month for the first year of her death.

In Postscript, we meet up with Holly again, 7 years after Gerry's death. She's in a relationship with Gabriel. She's working for her sister, Ciara, at her eclectic resale shop. Her life seems to be in a good place.

Holly's sister asks Holly to participate in a podcast, telling people the story of Gerry's letters. Unbeknownst to her, one of Holly's sister's benefactors at her shop, Angela, is dealing with her own death and starts the P.S. I Love You Club. It's a club where terminally ill patients come together to create a legacy for their loved ones similar to the one that Gerry created for Holly. The P.S. I Love You Club wants to meet with Holly.

Gabriel thinks that her joining the club is going to take her backwards at a time when she should continue her move forward. Her family is more on the fence. Holly reluctantly agrees to meet with the club after she learns of Angela's death. Over time, she's drawn in and agrees to help the remaining members.

You'd think a book about dying people and death would be depressing, but it was really uplifting. Holly helped the terminally ill folks navigate their P.S. I Love You projects, making sure to be true to their personalities and what they jointly believe that their loved ones need. The club members learn about themselves as Holly learns more about the woman she has become since the time that Gerry died.

I loved Holly's family and her friends, Sharon and Denise, even though I don't remember them from the first novel. In fact, I don't remember much about the first novel. But I think I appreciated Postscript as much as I did because I totally remembered the gist of P.S. I Love You. 

Now that I'm much older, I don't always find books with young protagonists engaging. But I really enjoyed this one. I'd highly recommend Postscript.

No comments:

Post a Comment