Monday, April 11, 2022

The Kew Gardens Girls

How sad is it when you finish a novel on Friday, go to write the review on Monday and can't remember very much about it? That's the case with Posy Lovell's The Kew Garden Girls.

I read much more about World War II than about World War I so that part was refreshing. I'm not sure what it was that I didn't love about the novel. Perhaps because I found it predictable and wish the characters had been developed a little bit more than they were. I wish there had been a little bit more about the interaction of all the women working in the gardens and not just the three who were the main characters of the story.

I was interesting in reading about the treatment of conscientious objectors during World War I in England. I was disheartened to learn about the women's fight for equal wages, a fight that continues even now, over 100 years later. How terrible is that?

I there was a little more history of this historical fiction. It was a quick, easy, enjoyable enough read, but I wanted more!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment