Wednesday, April 13, 2022

The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig is the selection for Books & Beer Club this month. I'd heard some buzz about the novel (as well as some very mixed reviews) so even though I won't be able to attend the meeting this month, I figured I'd pick up the book.

What would life by like if you could go back, examine your regrets and then experience what life would have been like had you made a different choice at any moment in time? Like... what if you said yes when a guy asked you on a date. Or you agreed to tag along with your best friend on a trip to Australia? Or you pursued your father's dream to become an Olympic swimmer?

Nora Seed, at the point when she decides to end her life, finds herself in a library with the opportunity to experience all those lives that she didn't live. It gave her a choice to examine her regrets, the roads not taken.

I loved the concept of the book. It was a quick, fun, read. It was just okay. Sometimes the writing got a bit too philosophical for me. But it did prod me to think about my life's regrets. The discussion of the novel will probably be an interesting one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment