Saturday, April 2, 2022

Unthinkable

Congressman Jamie Raskin's commentary, Unthinkable: Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy wasn't as easy audiobook to listen to. On days with what I was reading was similar to current news stories (nearly 15 months after events unfolded), it was extremely difficult to listen to either the audiobook - or - the news! But at the end of the day, I'm very glad that I did listen to this one.

First, I wish I had a Representative like Jamie Raskin whose values seem to line up with mine and whose ideas of family align with mine as well. Raskin's perfect day would be spent in the company of all 3 of his children, doing something pleasant. I feel exactly the same.

Second of all, I cannot imagine the loss that the close-knit Raskin family is feeling over the loss of Tommy. Just hearing about him, I wish I had known him.

Raskin's book primarily deals with the suicide death of his son, Tommy, in conjunction with the horrors of January 6th and Raskin's role as lead impeachment manager of the second impeachment trial of our past president. He talks about his upbringing (making me think I should read one of the novels written by his mother, Barbara Raskin) and about his rise in politics. It's had me investigating Democracy Summer and wishing I was younger and could make real difference. (I really should be looking at ways that a 60-something can get involved in volunteering to hopefully facilitate some changes.)

If you are like-minded, I'd highly recommend this one, on audio, read by the author.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment